Sep 17, 2009

The Assessment Scheme to Rule them All

Here's the assessment scheme I've used since midway through my first year. For me, it has done all of the following:
-Provides differentiation for every students.
-Identify skills to remediate.
-Has xtinguished student test anxiety and has replaced it w/ student buy-in.
-Eliminates the need for students to make-up tests when absent.
-Significantly reduced the amount of time I spend grading.
-Creates an overarching picture of what the year looks like for myself and my students.
Enough from me, however. If you're out of the know and are still stuck using the 'old way' of testing, read it from the source:
How Math Must Assess (dy/dan)
Further, check out a walkthrough by Kate:
The Assessment Scheme to Rule them All
As she well puts:
-Reflects current course knowledge
-Provides clear path to remediation
-Rewards progress
For the remainder of my teaching career, this is what will drive my course and my teaching.

1 comment:

C. said...

Hi Krizia,

Thank you so much for reading my blog. It really means a lot to me. And I greatly appreciate your comment. It was very encouraging and I'm glad that someone feels inspired by what I write and my experiences in life. Thank you so much for taking the time to read what I write. I think it takes courage to admit when we don't like something and to move in a different direction. I hope you find your passion in life, whatever it may be. I definitely agree that people don't spend enough time trying to be true to themselves at a young age and really examine what they want. I mean, there's a lot of pressure to figure all that out and for most people, it takes time. But if we were all a little most honest, it might save us some time, money, and headache. Thanks again for reading my blog. I hope you continue to check back for updates.

All the best,
Carrie